About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

My "Over the Top" Bruschetta

This is one of my "throw things together and see how it works" recipes that I decided to list in my collection even though it doesn't specify amounts or anything like that.  I was making it for just me, so used just small amounts of everything.  For more bruschetta, you'd just need to increase everything til you got as much as you needed.  Some of my throw things together don't always work out but I was pleased with this one so am including it here.

For just me, I started with one roasted red pepper (packed in olive oil with garlic), put it in a small skillet and used two forks to kind of tear it into smaller pieces - I didn't want to cut it on my board since it was dripping oil.  Then I cut up several of the tiny, wrinkled black olives I bought a while back and which I love, put them in, and then added some minced up fresh basil.  I heated it up and it  was all looking and smelling pretty good.  I also toasted some pine nuts (just sprinkled them on some tinfoil and put it in my toaster oven for a few minutes) and grated up some aged parmesan.  I steamed some broccoli florets and seasoned them with some of the herbed salt January brought back to me from Hawaii.  When everything was pretty much ready, I cut three slices of good artisan bread and toasted them.  Then covered them with the pepper/olive mix, sprinkled the pine nuts and cheese on them and plated it with the steamed broccoli.  Used a little drizzle of my almost gone and very precious Florentine olive oil on the broccoli and everything together was delicious.  So, it is basically bruschetta, I suppose, but with the pepper, olives, pine nuts and cheese,  it was a little over the top and serving it as dinner with the broccoli made a very satisfying meal..

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive