About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

My Pork Tenderloin with Apple

Pork with Apples for One
This is one of my made-up recipes.  I use about 1/4 - 1/3 of one of those skinny pork tenderloins that they sell in a tubular wrapping.

Fresh from the oven...

Small piece of pork tenderloin or a boneless country rib
1 apple
Butter
Brown sugar
Ginger or other spice
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Peel and chop apple in small dice. Saute in about 1T butter. Add brown sugar (about 2 rounded spoonfuls) and spice and cook til slightly carmelized. Remove from pan and add some olive oil to pan. Quickly brown the meat, add the apple mixture back in, douse with balsamic vinegar, cover (I used tinfoil and lid) and bake for about 30 minutes (tenderloin) or an hour (rib) at 325.

I served this with a baked sweet potato. It was a little dry (I had cooked for a full hour). Could try adding a little water along with the balsamic or after baking could remove meat deglaze pan with a little water. But not enough to make it watery.

SECOND TIME:
Used a 5 oz. piece of tenderloin, one whole apple (I don’t think I used the whole thing the first time), probably more like 3 rounded spoons of sugar, more ginger (two or three good shakes). I added the balsamic to the apples, cooked it down a little (not too much - it was soupy), removed it and browned the meat without olive oil. Cooked in 350 oven for about 30 minutes. I didn’t have a sweet potato so made polenta which turned out to be wonderful with it. I took the meat out of the sauce, cooked the sauce down a little more, cut up the meat into bite sized pieces, put it on top of the polenta and poured the sauce over. DELICIOUS!!! Better than the first time, I think.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive