About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Vegetable Gratine for One

Vegetable Gratine for One

This is one I made up...

Saute minced clove of garlic in olive oil.  Add some diced (unpeeled) red potato (about ½" dice - 2 small or 1 larger) and saute until they start to soften.  Add brussel sprouts cut in half, cut side down.  Saute until lightly browned.  Add sliced zucchini and yellow squash and saute until lightly browned. (Note:  As I finish sauteeing each batch I push it to the sides and dump the new stuff in the middle.) Turn into casserole, cover, and bake in 350 oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Then sprinkle 1 oz. grated cheese on top (I've used Parmesan, Gruyere, Dubliner...haven't tried cheddar) and some bread crumbs and bake uncovered until melted and done.

Another time I made this, I put a couple of slices of stale good bread in the bottom of the casserole and then put the veggies on top.  Mmmmm-good!!

NOTE:  This could be made with different combinations of vegetables.  But if using zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, or other vegetables that release a lot of fluid when cooking, be sure to saute them long enough to get rid of that fluid, or the entire gratine will be kind of soupy.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive