About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Moroccan Beef Stew

MORROCAN BEEF STEW #3

I found when I came to my blog to post this, I already had a Morrocan beef stew recipe listed and it mentioned "my first Morrocan stew recipe" so this is my third and perhaps three times really is the charm because this was truly delicious!  No pictures of this one but when I get around to making it again, I will try to remember to post some.  I found this recipe on The Cooking Nook on the web.

Ingredients (I left the full size ingredient list for those of you who feed other than yourselves. :)

2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast (I didn’t use this for just me [see NOTE at end])
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 - 14 ounce cans beef broth
2 cups onion, chopped
1 - 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups golden raisins

For just me, I used two meaty “short” ribs (they seemed kind of long to me) and cut down all the other ingredients, of course.  I don’t think I used even 1 can of beef broth - in fact, I didn’t have beef broth so I either used vegetable broth or bone broth.

I probably chopped up half a medium onion, I didn’t used canned diced tomatoes - I used halved or quartered Campari tomatoes (smaller than tomatoes but bigger than cherry and grape tomatoes).

I sloshed in some red wine with the broth - maybe between the two of them I ended up with a cup or so of liquid.

I combined all the dry seasonings (and I think I divided the measurements in half rather than smaller because I wasn’t sure how much my meat would need).

I didn’t have any golden raisins and thought “what if I ruin the whole thing by adding dark raisins?” so no raisins, but I think they would have been delicious in this dish.  So here’s what you do:

Preheat the oven to 350.

Season the meat with the seasonings first, then brown the meat well in a roasting pant and throw in the onions for a bit. Toss in the tomato sections Finally, pour in broth and put in oven. Bake for 3 to 4 hours (I really did and am glad!) but check the liquid level 2 or 3 times. First time I checked it had cooked down quite a bit so I lowered the temp to 300 and added most of the rest of my wine/broth mix. Between this check and my next one would be when to add raisins. The second time I checked, the liquid had cooked all away and there was quite a brown cover in the pan. So I added yet a bit more of wine and broth and on the stove top, heated that up to let the alcohol cook out of the wine and also remove any tomato skins available (altho they had charred a bit so weren’t really worrisome). Then I ate it!! Every last bit. I had one of my small, toasted naan breads as a sopper-upper. It would be good over rice probably and even better over polenta.
A NOTE:  My second recipe called for cut-up chuck roast (as does this recipe) and I'm inclined to think one reason this one was SO good is because the meat wasn't cut up and there were little bones in each rib.  And incidentally, the meat absolute shredded apart when I was taking the bones out - it was very tender.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive