About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

August 11, 2017

On the banks of the beautiful Ohio

Grew up in Indiana where a favorite song was "On the Banks of the Wabash" which I don't think I've ever seen.  It's probably nice since a song was written about it but I consider "my river" to be the Ohio.  I love it and probably take pictures of it more often than is necessary.  That said, here are some more.

The first 4 were taken this past Wednesday when I was on my early morning walk (trying to get in shape for Italy).  I wished I had made an earlier start  because when I got to the river there were the remains of one of my favorite things that occurs on the river.  Sometimes early in the morning when I look out my window, the river will be covered by a "roll" of cloud and it's just fantastic to see.  These were taken as that roll had pretty much dissipated and I didn't get any very good pictures.  But I'm always driven to try. :)
Starts out with the solid white going between the hills on both sides of the river...
By the time I've walked a bit further, it's lifting enough that you can see the dark of the hidden bank...
And this one and the one below show the mist spreading out across the hills.
Just a very lovely, quiet morning.

The next two were taken on this morning's walk and are facing the other direction looking down the river towards 6th Street bridge.  I'm actually pretty happy with these pictures.  There must have been something special about the light because to me they almost have the look of watercolor paintings.  And I love the clear reflection of the bridge in the very still water.



It's so nice to have such a lovely, peaceful, un-trafficked place to walk.  This morning there was a fair amount of activity though as they prepare for tomorrow's Rails and Ales beer festival featuring local craft beers and I don't know what else.  It started probably 4 or 5 years ago and was instantly popular and last year they moved from what had become a very crowded space at Heritage Station down to the river.  Makes me wish I liked beer.  Maybe I can talk them into having a wine festival sometime! :)

I'm going to start work on another post about Sophia's visit with me.  I'm a bad grandmother - I should have posted about it while it was happening but I was either having too much fun or being worn out.  More later.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive