About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2001

Scrambled Eggs with Olives

From...
Serves 1

Ingredients (INSERT PIC)
3 eggs
2 T. olive oil
1/4 small onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
4 black olives, pitted and finely chopped
butter
salt and fresh ground pepper


If you’re thinking “oh my gosh this sounds weird” that’s exactly what I thought and don’t really know why I decided to try it.  I certainly was thinking it could be one that ended up going in the garbage disposal!  But, though it may not be to everyone’s taste, I loved it.

First of all, here are my thoughts on the ingredients:

I whipped up 3 eggs but didn’t use it all and think 2 eggs would be plenty.
I used about half of a shallot, chopped very fine
I used about a 1/4 tsp of the minced garlic in the jar (I confess - I very seldom buy fresh garlic - it starts growing before I can use it up!)
I used maybe a 1/4 of a tomato, chopped quite fine (I challenge you to find proof of a whole tomato in the picture above!) :)
So...that said, here’s what you do:

1.  Beat the eggs and set them aside.  Warm olive oil in small skillet, add the onion, garlic, tomato and olives, increase heat to high and cook until the juices have evaporated (won’t be dry - the oil’s still there).

2.  Heat a little butter in a small saucepan, add the eggs and cook over a gentle heat stirring continuously with a wooden spoon (see note below)

3.  Once the eggs are cooked, stir in the tomato and olive mixture, heat through and serve immediately.

Notes about #2 and #3 - to me, these aren’t “scrambled” - at least not the way I’ve always done scrambled eggs in a skillet.  What happens here is that eventually, you start to see “curdled” eggs forming and getting more and more cooked.  I waited until there was more cooked than not cooked, then dumped in the mix, stirred and cooked a little more and then because I wanted a patty like is in the picture, I scooped it back into the little skillet, patted it into shape, briefly cooked the one side, then flipped it with the spatula and cooked the other for just a few seconds.  Oh, and next time, I'll use a non-stick saucepan.

I really enjoyed this and will be cooking it again.  It stayed hot longer than just eggs too, for some reason and it’s the only time I’ve had eggs for dinner and didn’t immediately start eating other stuff as soon as I was done with dinner!

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive