About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

A Small Bread Pudding

This makes one generous servings or two servings if you're being good

1/2 c. + 2T stale bread cubes
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1T + 1tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
Raisins (I used not quite all of one of those tiny snack boxes)
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Break up stale but good bread into bite-sized chunks.  Put in casserole you'll be using and sprinkle the raisins around on top of the bread.  . Mix together the dry ingredients.  Whisk egg, add milk and whisk a little more, then add vanilla and dry ingredients, stirring to blend.  Pour this mixtures over the bread and raisins and tap the bread as necessary to make sure it gets covered by the liquid.  Bake for about 30 minutes (at least that's what I needed for the casserole I used).  With a pudding you can test for doneness by inserting a thin knife blade into the center - it should come out clean.

NOTES:  The raisins in those little boxes seem pretty dry to me so I plumped them first by letting them sit in hot water for a bit.  You could also use other fruit but I don't think a juicy fruit would be good.  Mine could have used a wee bit more salt I think.  Oh, and I didn't stir the sugar, cinnamon and salt together before adding it to the liquid and so I ended up with the cinnamon wanting to stay in clumps (although it seemed all right when I ate it).  But that's why I added the "blend the dry ingredients" direction.  And with my egg strata recipe and this one, I measure out half a cup of bread and think "boy, that doesn't seem like much" so I always add a little more...



No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive