About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Florence Tyler's Osso Buco

Florence Tyler’s Osso Buco (Page 139)

For 6 to 8 servings                                     For 1 to 2 servings

1 c. flour                                                   1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper                                          salt and pepper
4 veal shanks                                             1 veal shank
Olive oil                                                     Olive oil
3T butter                                                   2 tsp butter
1 onion, diced                                            1/4 onion, diced
1 celery stalk diced                                     short celery stalk, diced
2 carrots, diced                                          1 sm. carrot, diced
1 lemon, zested                                           Zest of 1/4-1/2 lemon
4 garlic cloves, minced                                1 garlic clove minced
2 bay leaves                                                half a bay leaf
1/4 c. chopped parsley                                ~ 1T chopped parsley
1 bottle dry red wine                                   3/4 c. wine
14-1/2 oz. beef broth                                  3-4 oz. broth
28 ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed          7 oz. (1/2 a 14 oz. can) tomatoes, crushed


(I'm sorry about the uneven second  column, but I haven't learned how to do columns on a blog yet.)

He says to dredge the meat in the salted and peppered flour but I’ve made it twice and haven’t done that yet (I read somewhere not to dredge meat in flour before browning)

So, preheat the oven to 350.  Add some olive oil and the butter to your pot and when hot, brown the shank well on both sides (may have to cut connecting tissues to keep from curling).  Remove and set aside.  Add the chopped veggies, zest, garlic, bay leaf and parsley, season with salt and pepper, and saute until they start to color and smell rich.  Nestle the shank back into the pot and add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by about half.  Add the beef broth and tomatoes and stir around.  Cover (I use tinfoil and lid), place in oven and braise for 1-1/2 hours.  Remove cover (if necessary add a little more broth, tomato juice, wine or whatever) and then cook for about another 30 minutes.

So far, I’ve served it with polenta (good) and with gnocchi (good).  He also suggests garlic mashed potatoes (most likely good!)

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive