About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Pesto in Small Quantities

Here's how I made my one-time only pesto:

1 cup of basil leaves
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
1-1/2 T. walnuts (pine nuts are traditional)
1-1/2 cloves garlic (or to taste)
1/4 c. good quality olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

The idea is that you have a food processor and if you do, then you just dump in the first four ingredients and pulse until everything is very finely chopped.  Then you drizzle the olive oil in the top while the processor is running.  Add your salt and pepper, pulse again, taste and adjust any seasonings as necessary.  And, presto--pesto!

Of course, if you don't have a food processor, then you dirty your mini-mincer, find out you can't use it while adding the oil, dirty your hand-held stick blender and its cup, find out the cup is too tight a fit for mixing such a thick paste, and end up putting that thick paste in a mixing bowl, adding enough oil to make it a little soupier, and then finish off again with the stick blender! :)

But however you get it made, I encourage you to try it.  With a processor, it would take truly just minutes to make and it gives you that nice feeling of "there, I made it myself!"

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive