About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

May 17, 2011

Saturday in Asheville, Part IV (and the last one for Saturday!)

As far as fauna goes, we saw rabbits, squirrels, wild turkeys, cows, horses and geese and ducks.  But it's only the geese and ducks I have pictures of.  I was entranced with them because they have all kinds of babies in various stages of development.  Even saw one mama goose nesting on top of a little batch of them.  So without further ado, here are some geese and ducks - all seen at the bass pond and the lagoon.



Not sure what bird this is, but he was very definitely on the trail of a tasty bite - still as a statue at the water's edge...

Mama and babies...

More babies - we saw much smaller ones also, but I guess I didn't get a picture of them.


These siblings are really close - they refused to spread apart and look like baby ducks!


Saturday finally concluded with a late dinner in downtown Asheville at The Market Place.  Again, everything we ordered was truly delicious.  We were puzzled, though, by how long it took to get our food since when we got there, things were clearing out rather than filling up.  But the food was worth waiting for!  Below is our shared menu:

smoked chicken spring roll with brown ale collards, smoked cheddar cheese, and a sweet chili sauce (I think my favorite - every bite was just mmm - mmm - oh my gosh!)

pecan crusted fried goat brie with a cranberry chutney - also very good

seared yellowfin tuna, togarashi, sea salt, asian "slaw", sriracha aioli (very good although not as "special" as the others)

and
pan seared sea scallops, cous cous pilaf, roasted red peppers, parsley, leek coulis, benton's bacon onion marmalade (the scallops were cooked perfectly and the cous cous was very tasty with all that "stuff" in it)

So, from beginning to end, an enjoyable - and tasty - day!

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Fun time, Mary Lynne! Loved the pics of you and Chris surveying your domain from the front porch!
Marlene

Mary Lynne said...

Yes, if I could take a couple of the terraces (with that view), that inner courtyard, and several of the bedrooms, especially the lady's room in that tower area, put that all into a house with a kitchen, dining room, living room and a couple of bathrooms, I would pretty much be feeling spiffy. Oh, and I'd need an attached garage and a gas stove! :)

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive