About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

October 30, 2015

Wednesday - Part 2

First of all, I forgot to post this picture of a beautiful olive tree that was in a small park across the street from the Nativity facade of La Sagrada so here it is.

After we parted with Heather, Chris and I headed up a pleasant, pedestrianized thoroughfare to the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, a fully functioning hospital until 2009, at which time it closed and is not being restored and refurbished to be a museum and cultural center.

I thought this was a great lamp post - I'm just so impressed with the practice of making necessities into beautiful art objects.


The main building (that's it at the end of the walkway) is a beautiful and impressive entry to a complex of 8 smaller buildings all designed the same plus two or three other smaller buildings surrounding a lovely courtyard with trees, shrubs, grassy areas and pleasant walkways.

When we arrived there was hardly anyone there and to walk into that courtyard after having left the very crowded and fairly chaotic Sagrada was  wonderful.    As usual, I have plenty of pictures to share -




My feet were pretty much killing me and since we were pretty much alone, I took off my shoes and socks for a brief spell and walked around on the cool tile walkways - very nice. :)

Beautiful staircase ceiling in the main building
And the staircase (and I just noticed Chris up there taking a picture).


Second story window looking out on the courtyard.


 Another gorgeous ceiling...
 and another.
 Very full trees and so pretty....

If anyone knows what this plant is, I'd like to know.  I've never seen so many berries on any of the berry plants I'm familiar with.
 This lamppost is a drinking fountain too!
 And another nice fountain right around the corner...

 Walking home, we took in the street which includes "the block of discord" - three houses designed by three different architects, one of whom was Gaudi - see if you can guess which one.



If you guessed this one, hoopla! cause you're right. :)



So, that was Wednesday and this is the end of a kind of measly report - I've let myself get behind by two days and want to catch up if I can before I get to Italy and being with Chris and Heather has kept me busy, happy, and not quite as concentrated on noticing everything going on around me.  But since I decided on this journal to serve as a memory book of my trips, it will do for me. :)

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive