About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

November 06, 2015

A couple of updates/corrections

Rosanna sent in a comment helping me out with identifying places in my Monday post.  Poor thing did such a great job identifying everything we were looking at and I enjoyed it all immensely but I did not do a good job of retaining what she was telling me.  Should have had a stenographer along to take notes. :)

Anysay, I will repost one picture I was totally wrong about and another that I had the right idea but was not really clear about.

First is the coastal town of Camogli which is taken from "CAsa delle MOGLI", town of a thousand white sails and is what I called the "wives' town".  It is the wives' town but does have a proper name.

The second mistake was calling the picture below a rich family's palacio.  It is actually San Fruttuoso Abbey which is the burial place of the Doria family - one of the most important, if not the most, in Genoa.  And I apologize for that mistake.

Chris did some more of his research because upon seeing another picture from that fated Tuesday, he said he thought it was where the film "Enchanted April" (a film the kids and I love and have watched now and then when we want to feel good) was filmed.  Having a real senior moment and apparently thinking I was still in Spain, I responded "Oh, no it can't be Spain - they went to Italy!".  Got a note a while later saying that yes, it was where they filmed it, it was Castello Brown, and it was in Portofino.  And he was nice and didn't say anywhere "Mom, you're crazy".  And, of course after he said the name I remembered that, yes, we had seen Castello Brown.  So here is the picture again, with a proper identification.  Actually, it's not "the" picture because Chris sent along a better one that must have been on the site he Googled.



And the one below is the one I had taken which I hadn't even tried to identify.  


So I can only apologize for being such an inept blogger.  I can only come up with two defenses - one, I'm 6 years older than when I took my first solo trip (2009 to Italy) and, two, both Spain and Genoa were filled with wonderful sightseeing but a lot of it.  More than I could remember properly apparently.  Well, and, three - I have never done so much traveling and moving from here to there as I've done on this trip and I won't be doing that again.  I may go to more than one place on a trip but I've decided that I won't do more than one flight and one either bus or train in a single day.  It's just too much for me.

That said, I'm happy with this trip and hope to make more and I do love my Florence. :)

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive