About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

August 09, 2016

A quick, mostly pictures post

My friend Peggy and I got together today and decided to visit the Huntington Museum of Art.  They had a very interesting current exhibit of the work of Edith Lake Wilkinson, who was not a native of West Virginia but ended up here, sadly enough, because she was placed in the mental asylum here where she remained until her death about 30 years later.  If you'd like to read more about her, visit the museum's website at hmoa.org.

I know I said "mostly pictures" in my post and so it will be.  But I didn't take any photos of the exhibits in the museum which included a wonderful exhibit of their Daywood Collection which was a gift of Ruth Dayton Woods.

There was also a quilt exhibit but I have to admit I didn't really like very many of them...

So, on our way out, we decided to visit the conservatory and, as always, it is in glowing health!  I actually got some photos there that I'm happy with. :)


The conservatory has always has plenty of orchid plants but today, they were everywhere - on the floors around the perimeter, hanging here and there, tucked in among other plants, etc.  Turns out the man who is the master behind the conservatory came in while we were there and I mentioned how many more there were than the last time I visited.  He explained that they had had to close their greenhouses for repairs and all the orchids had to be moved to the conservatory.  I didn't even know they had greenhouses.  Anyway, not to many were in bloom, but this one sure was and it is a beauty.

And this is the Chihuly glass installation placed several years ago now.  I posted about it when it was installed but figured I'd put another picture of it here cause it is just so perfect in this setting!

I should have looked to see if this plant was identified but didn't.  Would it be a bougainvillea I wonder?  Anyway, whatever it is, this flower was just begging to be photographed.  So lovely...

And that's all from the museum.  Driving back in to town, we did a detour to take in the new construction and this next picture is for January's benefit (and mine - I figure it will entice her for a visit some time after it's completed).

This is what the news on line had to say about it:

"The bones of the old MacIntosh's Pub in Huntington are expanding and will soon be enveloped with the Bahn Hos, named for a German railway.  
The German-American gastro pub will feature home made pretzels, real schnitzel and a Biergarten complete with a wide variety of your favorite legal beverages. 
They're working toward a September opening, because Oktoberfest actually begins in September."
So, everyone come visit Huntington in October and join in the Oktoberfest festivities!
And, finally, it's been a long time since I've posted one of my never-successful sky pictures.  This one doesn't do justice to what I was seeing either but that's the way it goes.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive