About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

April 11, 2017

I'm not a good blogger!

I never put up the remainder of my California pictures (just from my 12-hour airport visit but still...)

So this is just a quickie mostly so Chris can see them since he's the one who told me I could spend time looking for them.

A little strange perhaps, but very inventive!

This one had a very pre-historic look to it.

This was certainly the most fun one and by the time I realized I should have been at a different angle, I was too tired to go back and try again.  But they're a pair of very perky high heels. :)

 This was intriguing but I took this picture from far enough away to try and show how big this area was - it was a giant corner with those black lumps at the bottom of the frame being the start of a seating area where no one was sitting most of the time.  It came at the end of a long, wide hallway that had benches where for the most part no one was sitting.  Nice, but one thinks that if they weren't making airports so big and beautiful nowadays, maybe it would lessen the cost of flying a little?

So this is closer up and you can get a better idea of the installation.  My favorite is the gold one on the left.  To me it almost convinced me that I was looking at the sun going down or coming up...  the one below is just to show it close-up although since I took it later, the scene isn't as interesting as in this one.


 I'm not real sure what this is - I tended to see a woman's figure each time I first looked at it, but then it seemed to just sort of morph into nothing in particular.  And I have to confess that I didn't read all the plaques for each of these.  If I had, I wouldn't have remembered what they said later anyway. :)

 Ah, modern art - so often a puzzle.  The only thing this makes me think of is the new style of toothbrushes with their twisty, curvy handles that I find very hard to control when I'm brushing away!

And, finally, not a work of art, but our wee little boarding area, gate #47.  There were, if I recall 9 seats total and no desk/counter to walk by.  It sort of made me think of a portal to another dimension or something.  But it was a portal to our plane (finally!) and somewhere between 11 - 11:30 p.m. off we flew into the wild, black yonder.

And just because I took these a couple of days ago, I'll go ahead and put them up.  We've had a lot of rain and I kept seeing how high the river looked when I'd look out my windows so finally walked down to investigate the other day.  It was pretty high - not as high as sometimes but high.  It was one of those glorious days - beautiful clouds of all sorts, brilliant blue sky, windy but not cold...nice.




And this last one shows portion of the steps underwater.  I always feel sorry for the people who have to keep cleaning this up each time it floods.  Everything is completely covered in mud and they bring in big hoses and spray it all back into the river.  This time of year, it can flood several times and they try to wait it out but often after they've finally got it all spruce, it will flood again...

So that finishes my California trip.  I wasn't especially a good tourist but that was only because I liked where I was too much!

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive