About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

October 07, 2019

The end.

I am now in a hotel very close to the Milan Malpensa airport where I will be getting on a plane tomorrow morning and flying to Newark, NJ where I will be getting on a train and being picked up by Chris in DC's train station.  And will then drive to Huntington either Wednesday but probably not, but definitely no later than Thursday. 

Today (Monday) was just a visit to Mercato Centrale for some special aceto balsamica vinegar which I ended up not buying because I just didn't trust that it was really what I wanted.  Did buy a block of Parmesan cheese though.  I had packed a lot of my stuff on Sunday and finished up on time this morning.  Went and sat outside at a little cafe in the Duomo's piazza and as always was so glad I discovered this wonderful building all those years ago.

Then it was back to the hotel call for a cab to take me to the train station, get to my train without too much trouble, really, travel to Milan's train station, get to the Malpensa Express train completely and totally out of breath but was pleased to see quite a few young people (20's) coming in after I did and huffing and puffing just like I had done.

Finally got to Malpensa (why they call it express I can't figure out)  I would guess we made at least 10 stops at little places along the way.  And then the shuttle from the hotel where I'm staying picked me up and brought me here and I am now sitting in bed after a very nice dinner.

So that's the trip for 2019...much more fraught than I hope I'll ever have again, but the pleasant parts were pleasant.  I can hardly keep my eyes open so -

buona sera!

4 comments:

Christopher B. said...

Congratulations on another Italy chapter! Like all good stories, twists and turns (but no twisted ankle this time!) ups and downs (but no camera breaking down this time!) highs and lows (but no... um... Lowe’s in the piazza of the Duomo? ;)
Anyway... kudos for persevering and I’m glad you went. I love telling folks that my mom is still taking off for trips abroad :)
Seeya tomorrow night!
Love,
-Chris

January said...

I haven't been checking to see if my comments have been posted or not, but hopefully you know your youngest has been checking in regularly! I'm glad the last leg in Italy went well, if a bit hurried at the end. It will be wonderful to have you back stateside today! Big hugs.

Unknown said...

I have truly loved experiencing this trip thru your words and photos. Have a wonderful and safe trip home.

Christopher Budny said...

Welcome home (well to my home, at least)! Glad you survived, had some Duomo quality time, and some good times mixed in with the hassles and challenges!

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive