About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

My Own Puttanesca Sauce

This is another one of those "no rules" recipes. The following is pretty much my standard method, but if I don't have one of the things I mention here, I substitute or do without. And, of course, this is how I make it for a single serving.

First, saute a minced scallion or onion (I've started using scallions because as a "cook for one", I've discovered they're a blessing - you don't have leftover raw onion smelling up the fridge!) in a nice amount of olive oil. Then, if you have it, add a chopped mushroom and some minced garlic. Toss in about half (see note below)  of a zucchini and a yellow squash chopped up and let that cook a bit. Add some chopped up green and/or black olives and then add a can of tomato sauce and a slosh of marsala or red wine, a little salt and pepper to taste and let it simmer together for a bit and thicken up a little. And that's basically it.

However...that's just one way...

I've sometimes added a few capers or an anchovy (they disappear but add a real richness) but if doing that go easy on the olives.  One time I added an anchovy , and some capers, and the olives and it was definitely too salty even for me and I love salty!

I also added some chopped up chicken one of the times I bought a rotisserie chicken.  I didn't add it to the other stuff I was cooking - just waited til everything was done and then put in probably about half of a breast chopped up.  That time, rather than serving it as a sauce on spaghetti, I mixed it in with some penne pasta and baked it as a casserole.  That made enough for two single serving casseroles.  So I baked the first one with some parmesan on top for about 20 minutes and that was fine. When I cooked the second casserole, I tore up some thin-sliced prosciutto I had and sprinkled it on top.  I put it in the oven til it was heated through and then turned the broiler on for about 5 minutes to crisp up the prosciutto.  Mama mia, it was good!!

So, you see that this is one you can just basically play with - use what you have, add whatever you like (maybe broccoli or peas or cauliflower or ??? instead of zuchini and yellow squash), and make it a little different every time.

NOTE:  After I posted this, I was going to make some sauce using the zucchini and yellow squash and some mushrooms.  I decided rather than throwing out the other halves of the squashes, I would chop it all up, use more mushrooms than normal and save half of that sauted mix to use again another time.  I didn't end up using the other half in another batch of sauce (although you could), but I did use it as a sort of "roasted" veggie topping for my lunch sandwich and that was really a nice change for lunch.  So, yet another good thing to do with a "play it by ear" recipe. :)

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive