About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Baked Potato Soup

Baked Potato Soup Recipe
(2 servings)

1 medium potato (baked)
1-1/2 tsp butter
1/4 c. finely minced onion (or maybe a little less)
1T flour
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
1 c. milk (skimmed is fine)
2 T cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt (at least)
ground pepper
dollop of cream (if available)
grated cheddar
Seasonings to taste (I used some thyme and cayenne - could try celery seed, paprika, maybe worcestershire or ???)

I baked the potato in the toaster oven first time and it worked, but I'll try it in the microwave next time because the toaster oven made it very crusty and crumbly. 

The amounts of liquid are approximate.  It kept thickening and I did add more water and milk.  For this amount of soup (2 generous servings) I used probably 2-3 oz. cheese.

This recipe appealed to me cause you don't have to boil potatoes first.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive