About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Herbed Cherry Tomatoes


From "Christmastime Treats" by Sara Perry
(Serves 6 to 8)

3/4 c. pine nuts
1 c. day -old soft bread crumbs
1/2 c. minced shallots
1/4 c. plus 2T minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 pint yellow or orange cherry tomatoes
1/4 c. plus 2T olive oil

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, spread nuts and crumbs in single layer, bake, stirring occasionally., until browned, 8 -10 min.  Set aside.

Raise oven temp to 400. Lightly grease 2 quart baking dish.

In large bowl, stir all ingredients up to tomatoes (except crumbs and nuts), together.  Add the tomatoes and toss to coat evenly.  Spread them out in single layer in baking dish. Sprinkle crumb mixture over all, drizzle with olive oil.

Bake until tomatoes have puffed slightly and heated through, 6 to 8 minutes.  Remove and serve.  (Also good chilled)

NOTE:  I made one half recipe (one pint of tomatoes) for a party of four and had leftovers .  Used them heated up on spaghetti with a little additional oil and parmesan cheese (as in picture).  My only small problem with the recipe is every now and then getting a tomato that had a really tough skin.  But it makes a very tasty side dish when hot and a nice buffet addition even at room temperature.  Haven't tried it chilled and think with the oil it might be kind of "thick".

Cooking notes:  I have to confess to not stirring the crumbs and nuts even once.  I used a glass pie plate for the half recipe.  Also, after making the bread crumbs in my mini-mincer, I went ahead and threw in the pine nuts and got them slightly chopped up.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive