About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2001

Apple Pudding

A strange recipe, perhaps, but a delicious dessert!

Ingredients
2 c. finely chopped apples (my recipe doesn't mention peeling, but I did when I recently made this)
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 stick butter (softened)
1 c. flour
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the apples, sugar and soda together and let stand for 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times.  Add the cinnamon and butter, stir thoroughly to break down butter, and let stand another 30 minutes.  Add the flour and vanilla and pour into a 9" square pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

NOTES:  I hadn't made this for years and years and my old recipe that I had typed up in my recipe notebook listed the first three ingredients, saying to mix and let stand and then listed the other ingredients in the body of the instructions.  I didn't read it thoroughly - just saw the first 30 minutes and cook for 30 minutes so I figured out when I wanted to eat it and still have it be slightly warm if possible and based my start time on 1 hour.  Then I read ahead and noticed the second 30 minutes and thought "oh-oh".  So, I cut that 30 minutes down to around 15 minutes and went ahead.  It didn't seem to make any difference that I could tell, so if you're pressed for time, you could probably safely shave 5 or 10 minutes from the two "standing" times.

I thought about serving this with whipped cream but opted for ice cream.  Then when I couldn't find a small container of vanilla, I decided to try Haagen Daz's Dulche de Leche (vanilla with caramel swirl) and it was very nice. :)

As far as cooking for one, this could very easily be cut in half and if you had a friend over, there would be enough for both and probably at least another serving for you and maybe a serving to send home with your friend.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive