About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

December 01, 2008

Spiced Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

I love this soup!  Simple (well, peeling squash isn't really simple but maybe you're lucky and can buy fresh, cubed squash), and tasty-tasty good.

This was a recipe from my Kroger store, to give credit where credit is due.  I'll put the quantities they gave for 6 to 8 but I never made that much.  My first time I used 1 big butternut squash (which seems to be what Kroger mostly sells) but other times I have used somewhat smaller ones and just made adjustments here and there.  The first time I think I got 4 good-sized bowls of soup from it.

1/4 c. unsalted butter
2 large onions, diced
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled/cored/diced
1 tsp. ground nutmeg (best if you grind from the whole nut)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 butternut squashes, peeled and seeds removed, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 qts. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

So my first time, like I say, I quartered the recipe. It came out quite thick so I added some milk, a little more stock and a splash of white wine just cause there was some in the fridge and I didn't want to add too much more stock for fear it would begin to have a chicken-y flavor.  I think it was so thick cause that squash was really big.

DIRECTIONS:
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat.  Add onions and apples and cook til tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir in spices, cook for 1 minute, then add squash and chicken stock.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the squash is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Puree and serve.  And their directions do say "add additional stock, if necessary, to desired thickness.

Hope you try it and like it.  It's a very simple recipe - no really fancy ingredients and it is really good!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive