About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

May 11, 2010

A Fun Idea for Dinner...

but not very often!  The calorie count doesn't bear thinking about.


I don't remember what I was looking for when I pulled out one of my several 'cooking for one' cookbooks.  It had numerous little sticky notes marking recipes I thought I would try sometime.  Then, of course, put the book away and never thought of them again.

But there was a recipe for fondue and I thought "neat!  that's what I can have for dinner tonight."  I had everything but the cheese so went and got that.  The recipe called for 7 ounces of cheese which is one heck of a lot of cheese, so I cut it in half and used about 3-1/2 ounces.  I had just bought a loaf of potato rosemary bread yesterday so cut some of that up, steamed a bit of broccoli so I could say I was being healthy, and, voila - fondue for supper.  Cutting the recipe in half made plenty.  Had I made the whole amount I would have had to throw about half of it out.

So, I'll put this recipe in my recipe collection also.  I just happened to have a nice, little fondue pot, basically meant for chocolate fondue, but it was just right for this.  You could certainly just make it in a small, heavy pot though - after all, since it's just for you, who's to know, right? Click HERE for the recipe.

3 comments:

Christopher said...

Oh boy, does that suddenly make me miss (and realize I will continue to miss) Artisanal now that I'm no longer commuting to NYC. What a terrific little treat of a meal!

Mary Lynne said...

Take heart, Chris - there's always the ... what's the name of that fondue place? I even said it today to January and now I can't remember it. At any rate, get a group of your friends together one of these weekends and go slurp it up! :)

xo
P.S. - Nice to hear from you...

January said...

Melting Pot! Not Artisanal at all, granted, but pleasant and tasty nonetheless. I'm so glad it worked out for you Mama - I sure did think it sounded like a fun idea.
Makes me hungry!

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive