About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

September 26, 2019

Lyon, France - and I'm actually still here...

and getting my first batch of photos posted.  But I must also get out and see some "sites" which I haven't done yet due to, yet again, spending a lot of Wednesday wandering around looking for the "tourist information" place.  But I got these photos while wandering. :)  You'll see more of a few of these in m next post but I'm not going to try and figure out which ones to pull out.

Wikipedia has this to say:  "The Basilica of Notre-Dame de Fourvière is a minor basilica in Lyon. It was built with private funds between 1872 and 1884 in a dominant position overlooking the city. The site it occupies was once the Roman forum of Trajan, the forum vetus, thus its name."  It is way, way high up on a hill and fortunately there are funiculars running up and down for the less powerful.  And I have read several places that it was built because whoever was ruler in that era prayed that the Prussians would not conquer Lyon and if they did not he would build a basilica to Mary.  They didn't and he did.  But I can't find that story anywhere now, of course.  I'll post more pictures from my 9/26 outing once I get finished working on this one.

 Another lovely church right on the river and I don't know its name.
 There are two rivers that run through Lyon - the Saone and the Rhone.  They run separately until they reach the "confluence" at the southern end of the city.  In between there is an island, I guess you could call it and that's where I'm staying.
The middle structure with the rounded front is the very old Cathedral of Sainte Jean.  I went there today (9/26) so will have more pictures of it also.
 Hmmm, a very crooked picture showing the juxtaposition of the two cathedrals.  And then that church I don't know the name of is right down on the left from St. Jean about a block or two.
I took this picture because of the stone arches above the lower buildings.  There is much mention of ancient Rome's part in this area and I wondered if these were leftovers.  Tomorrow I hope to get myself out to the Roman museum along with 2 Roman "arenas" or theaters that are in pretty good shape.
 Another strange building front.  What could it originally have been for?  Women's clothes? (tee hee)

 And this one is just to show how you look down a street and there are all sorts of elaborate buildings.  This whole city makes me wonder which city was built first (as a city I mean) because Lyon sure reminds me of Paris.
Just gorgeous!

And I didn't have one horrendous problem today with the place where I'm staying so that made it a nice day.

Au revoir for now! 

4 comments:

Chris B. said...

Wow, some very attractive buildings there! Cities directly along rivers are always nice, somehow...
Looking forward to more, and of course, a certain meal review...!
Bon Voyage!
-C

Unknown said...

Meant to say that your Turin residence looked like you lucked out on it as far as modern, clean, etc. Looks like you're off to a good start in Lyon and I hope you've got good accommodations here as well. And what a treat it must seem to know that you'll have several days before having to move on and that they apparently do not have cablecar wires to ruin your pictures! Will be interested to hear if the food is as wonderful as the buildings. xoxo Chinch

January said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your brief stay in Lyon! And the mixture of old and new is really lovely. I'm looking forward to the next batch of photos!

Lunch buddy said...

The church on the river is beautiful. It doesn’t matter that you don’t know the name. I would forget it anyway! Be safe.

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive