About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

September 25, 2019

Turin...

or Torino as the Italians say.  Turin was another city that I had no time at all in - got there in the afternoon and left before noon the next day.  Very poor planning on my part.  But I saw enough to think it might be another nice city to visit thoroughly sometime.  And I am SO far behind that I can't remember if I've already said something about Turin elsewhere or not.  I'm going to assume not.

Here's the thing - I really liked what little I saw of Turin but I went there only because they had a good connection to Lyon, France.  So I stayed one night in Turin and, as is becoming usual with this trip really don't remember much about it.  But I did do a walk-about and have some pictures.

The cable car is very prominent there and the wires distressed me when trying to take pictures.  But I did the best I could.


 This was a building with a big naked man laying in front of it - not sure why and I feel pretty certain I've seen the same type of building "decoration" in my past travels.  I mean, it IS kind of hard to forget a big naked man!
 They had some beautiful square in Turin and huge!
 Not real sure what I was trying to get here - that's a pharmacy on the right...

 The very crooked structure above is at one end of the huge square that you see below.
 And again, below, the other side and a better portrayal of its size.


 And, of course, the required man on a horse...
 I loved these passages and have seen them in other cities - Bologna especially.  There are some here in Lyon too (where I'm typing this) and in rainy weather (which it is now) you really welcome them.
 This theater (I would guess) was so abruptly startling in the midst of all the old buildings that it totally warranted a picture.  It is so Art Deco I think.

 And I loved this building and finally found a place to shoot from that didn't have cable lines crossing all over it.  I bet this flat iron building beats our NYC flat iron building.  It sure is fancier.
 See what I mean about cable car lines?
I cropped this one to within an inch of its life just to show a close up of one of the 5 (I think) towers that were situated on the building.  And finally below is my best effort on that building. The wires are in full force but it shows what a fun building it was with all those crowns.

I was walking on down the street and here was this beautiful little entry of some sort into I know not what.  But there were two very large open wood doors and just as I was ready to step in and get a really good shot, this little old man appeared and started to shut one of the doors.  I motioned to my camera and the beautiful ceiling and he said whatever her said and continued to close the one door he was closing.  But then he waited and indicated "okay, now take your picture" so I did and walked away.  When I came back later, the one door was still closed and he was no where to be seen so I don't know what that was all about but it's still a nice enough picture.  Just not as good as it could have been.

M.y hotel was quite nice - small but clean, new bathroom (I think) and this wonderful elevator..



And my rather spartan bed...but I slept well in it!

And I discovered when I pulled back the heavy drapes covering my window to see what view there was.  And what there was was a little tiny step out balcony looking down on this "patio" nnd I think probably you can take your breakfast out there and eat.


7 comments:

Chris B. said...

I know what you mean about the wires for trams -- Vienna had that too. I certainly appreciate good mass transit, but in these old towns we love to marvel at, it does "ruin" the photographer's vision! teehee.

The apartment looks cute... lovely view into the courtyard! And thanks for that spiraling gate shot - I bet you thought of me and wrought iron when you saw it ;)

I love that huge square / plaza -- with the two nearly-matching ornate buildings (churches?) at the end, that you showed... Not quite mirror images of each other as they flank a street exiting the plaza... but just similar enough to make nice "book ends" at that end of the plaza!

Mary Lynne said...

Yep, I thoght you'd like the elevator grillwork. I remember when I was in Paris which was kind of a number of years ago, maybe 2013? I went into some kind of gorgeous store with very expensive stuff and they had a beautiful elevator - probably a little more special than this one cause it was just in their store - not being used by all and sundry.

Chris B. said...

PS - I too love those covered arcades at street level on so many of the buildings. What a civilized feature for city planners, or just architects, to include back then... They make bad-weather- and hot-sun-walking far more enjoyable and practical for everyone...

January said...

That really is a giant town square! And also the tile in the bathroom is downright dizzying. I love the photo you got of the LUX sign at the end of the more "classical" style plaza/lobby/corridor/thing. That chapel or church is pretty incredible on the outside; I wonder what it's like on the inside? You know, Nietzsche spent 1888 in Turin, and wrote three books there!

Chinch said...

Interesting how that very large square is mostly cobblestone but then has walking "paths" of decent size stones that certainly would be easier on the feet than the cobblestones. Lots of the buildings and scenery remind me of my visits to Brussels and Prague -- amazing what they could build way back then with not a whole lot of anything but people power. I'm a day late on this even tho I saw it yesterday. Now I'm going on to today's. Chinch

Unknown said...

Glad you had such a nice day in Lyon Mom! The architectural detail on pretty much every building (so it seems from your pics) is just beautiful. They sure love their arches there!! It is hard to imagine they could have built that Basilica de Notre-Dame... in such a relatively short timeframe! Hope all the rest of your days are as lovely as yesterday's! Heather

Lunch buddy said...

I’m always so amazed by the intricate detail of the architecture. Your apartment is precious with that little courtyard.

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive