About Me

My photo
West Virginia
When I started my retirement travels in 2009, I wanted a way to share it with family and friends as it was happening. Hence, "My Travel Journal". However I realized I wouldn't always be on a trip and wondered what to do with the blog in between times. My daughter pointed out, wisely, that travels can also include trips to the kitchen to try a new recipe, trips to visit family, trips to my neighborhood Starbucks, or a fun day trip with a friend. You're welcome to join me on any of these journeys! I've set up individual pages for each of my major trips (see tabs above).

Also, I have an Etsy shop where my current needlework resides. The last pieces I posted here were in 2013! So if you'd like to see what I have accomplished recently, go to (and I apologize for having to copy and paste):

www.etsy.com/shop/thedollhouseneedle

I recently added an "Italian Word a Day" thingie which shows up at the bottom of every page. You see the word and can click to hear it pronounced. I've been enjoying it and I think my accent is improving as time goes by.

May 03, 2015

Deleting one recipe, adding another

I'm going to delete the Lamb Shank Moroccan Style recipe because I said it it, I will probably never make it again because it was so much trouble.  And I'm replacing it with Moroccan Beef Stew - loosely based on various tagine recipes I've seen and the lamb shank recipe.

A month or more ago, I bought my "last pot roast til fall" chuck roast and when I went to cook it I realized it was way bigger than normal so I cut off a hunk and froze it.  We've been having such chilly weather that yesterday I thought I would defrost it before the weather turns hot.  I remembered that lamb shank and thought I would adapt that to the beef and not just make another pot roast so I did.

It was (she said modestly) very tasty and tonight I'm going to take some of the leftovers and make a "sort of" shepherd's pie I think.  So, actually I won't post this until I've done that and will let you know how that worked out.

I only took a couple of pictures - was having such fun with it I kept forgetting to shoot as I cooked.  But here's the beginning:


And, here's the end.  I was sitting there just chowing down and then thought "oops - better take a picture before it's all gone!"  The meat was nice and tender and the flavor was very, very tasty and an interesting change from my beloved pot roast. :)  This would definitely serve two but I like having leftovers so it's nice for one too.
Update:  The shepherd's pie was quite edible but when I make this stew again, I will make a few changes as outlined in the recipe.

No comments:

Italian Word Word of the Day

My Trusty Followers

Blog Archive